Programs every Programmer has Written
This is a list of programs every programmer has written from scratch at one point. By "every" we don't mean everyone, just that it's a general trend for enthusiastic hackers to write one or more of these at a point:
- Hello, world ;-)
- An Interpreter for Scheme (a relatively minimalistic dialect of Lisp)
- A templating system or HTML preprocessor
- A database abstraction layer, or Object-Relational Mapper (ORM)
- An IRC bot
- An interpreter for his own language (possibly embedded in text)
- An ad-hoc Content Management System (CMS).
- A program to calculate the digits of Pi.
- A prime numbers-related program (prime factoring, prime generation, etc.)
- A "build system" (normally just a makefile generator).
- A program to render the Mandelbrot set.
- A simulator for Conway's Game-of-Life.
- A Tower of Hanoi program (also in any programming languages he has learned).